Emotions require Listening, Understanding & Love
How can you as a childminder support and encourage a child as they work through their feelings and emotions?
A child needs an environment where they can feel safe to express their feelings and learn how to regulate their behaviour. When safety is created for the child to express and respond to emotions, real progress can happen and this will influence how the child will cope with their emotions in the future.
Validating the child’s feelings will ensure they feel secure and supported as they work through these emotions. Suppressing emotions can lead to negative outcomes for the child.
Childminding Ireland have asked Parenting and Relationship Mentor, Fran Grennan to host another webinar to help childminders to create an environment where it is safe for the child to express and receive emotions. Fran’s webinar will cover:
- Real ‘listening’ to the child and talking with the child
- Showing kindness and compassion for how they are feeling
- Showing the child what ‘calm’ looks like
- Letting the child know that it’s ok to feel upset, sad, etc.
- Finding words for the big feelings
- Encouraging the child to express where he feels the emotion in his body
Training will be delivered via Zoom
Cost: €10 Members
When: 21 June
Time: 7.30pm to 8.45pm
Places are limited to allow people interact with Fran and ask questions. To register for this event, please email email@example.com and a Zoom invitation will be sent to you closer to the date.